domingo, 2 de diciembre de 2012


“You have no honor!”
(To be read in an old Asian man’s voice)

              There is a battle cry that comes from deep within. But this is the one that has been held in for far too long--one that won’t back down and doesn’t care who hears it. It’s a cry that draws the attention of a man’s enemies. The odds are against him, but it doesn’t matter anymore. For he used to fight to win, but now he fights for something much more glorious. He fights for honor.

             Honor seems like it has been lost, like it is simply something of the past. Honor is good but not necessary for life anymore. Success has been fighting to take honor’s place, and in many peoples’ eyes success is more important. Oh, but await that day when the gaze of the man of honor and the gaze of the man of success meet, and their eyes peer into each other’s souls. There is only one man who breaks eye contact, because he stands on solid-rock character. Yet, the other looks away, knowing he isn’t worthy to even compare his victories with the other.

            The fact that honor has been so lost makes me sad. Honor is a word used often but seldom lived out--like a lost book or work of art that is waiting to be rediscovered. Who will choose the book of honor and brush off the dust? Who is willing to let go of materialism, “easy path-ism”, quantity over quality, impatience, rudeness, irresponsibility, and pride in self that is so highly esteemed by peers?

A man of honor simply puts others before self. Recently, I watched The Last Samurai, and it stirred something deep within me. The samurai have something that I so hunger for--something that is so foreign to my culture, yet a normal way of life for them. The word samurai means “to serve.” To serve in our western culture is looked down upon. Serving makes us think of prisoners, maids, and waiters. I mean, if you get in trouble, our law requires you to do community service. A suitable punishment for doing something wrong is serving others. We have been taught that the weak serve; the strong take. The sympathetic give, and the prideful win. Nice guys finish last, and the bad boy wins. Sadly, a more truthful story is that the bad boy gets divorced and hopefully pays child support.

           For a while, I was going through a ton of things and just feeling darkness all around me. Lies were whispering into my ear and attacking my heart any way they could. At night I said, “God, I so need to hear what you’re saying to me in this moment.”

           The next morning, a friend named Angela came up to me and said, “Breck, I honor and bless you for all of the continuous choices you have made to entrust yourself to Christ. Whether it’s with God providing for your needs, where you sleep, what you eat, or if you eat; you always choose to put your faith on and in Christ. You never complain, though others might be selfish with their excess while you go without. You choose life, faith in the unfailing love of your father (God) and the goodness of God for your life. I believe He will greatly honor you for your choices and the way you have faithfully carried yourself. He will position you in great places, because you live with integrity before Him and come in humility in relationship with others and in your heart postured before Him. He is so pleased with you. Get ready! I bless you with the full measure of all Christ has for you!”

          While she was speaking to me, tears came down my face. I could hear God’s voice intertwined with hers. I was overwhelmed with the honor she was speaking over and into me. Her words were so timely to say the least.

          Lately, when coming upon difficult decisions I find myself asking, “What is the honorable thing
to do?” For I long to live as a man of honor. I leave you with these words:


          “He sat down and summoned the Twelve. ‘So you want first place? Then take the last place. Be the servant of all.’” Mark 9:35, The Message

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario